Ravenyard Priorities Assessment - Civility
CIVILITY - the act of showing regard for others by being polite, kind, and using good manners; from the Latin word civilis, meaning "relating to public life” (diplomacy, tact, courtesy, tolerance, respect, decency, civilized behavior).
In crisis, emotions are at the surface and often tempers run high. It is easy to react with outrage and blame. Civility is a way of preserving decency and taking the high road when things are difficult.
QUESTIONS TO ASK
- Why is this your priority?
- What about this resonates with you?
- Describe qualities of civility.
- What does it mean to be civil during crisis or times of hardship?
- When you look back on this time five years from now, how will you know you embodied civility?
- How can civility guide your decision-making?
- Who or what does this priority serve? How does it help?
- Imagine yourself in a situation where you are being civil. What does that feel/sound/look like?
Crisis often makes people feel under attack. We take things personally and our emotions live at the surface. Civility involves dealing with those emotions in a healthy way so that we can behave with decorum, decency, and tact.
Leaders who practice civility acknowledge their frustration and anger. They find trusted advisors to help them work through strong emotions while maintaining an outward appearance of decorum and calm. Civil leaders stay on message.
Every day write one sentence about what it means to take the high-road.
Use “civility” as a mantra while you work out, do dishes, or in the shower.
Do you feel outrage about your current situation? Describe how it feels.
Want to learn more?
Continue with Parts Two and Three of the Ravenyard Priorities Assessment
The Ravenyard Priorities Assessment is the property of Ravenyard Group, LLC and is provided for my personal non-commercial use only. I may not copy, sell, or otherwise exploit any portion of the Assessment or relatedly not copy, sell, or otherwise exploit any portion of the Assessment or related materials without express permission from Ravenyard Group.
© 2022 Ravenyard Group, LLC. All rights reserved.