Ravenyard Priorities Assessment - Compassion
COMPASSION - awareness of and sympathy for suffering; the humane quality of understanding other’s pain and wanting to do something about it (benevolence, empathy, grace, mercy, humanity, kindness).
Crisis is polarizing. It is easy to see people as the enemy, to shame them, or place blame. Compassion acknowledges hardships and suffering (our own and other’s) and guides us towards feelings of mercy and grace.
QUESTIONS TO ASK
- Why is this your priority?
- What about this resonates with you?
- Describe qualities of compassion.
- What does it mean to be compassionate during crisis or times of hardship?
- When you look back on this time five years from now, how will you know you embodied compassion?
- How can compassion guide your decision-making?
- Who or what does this priority serve? How does it help?
- Imagine yourself in a situation where you are compassionate. What does that feel/sound/look like?
It’s hard to be human and impossible to manage crisis perfectly. We blame and shame others when we blame and shame ourselves. Compassion starts within as a practice of gentleness and forgiveness for our own imperfections.
Compassionate leaders give members of their team, their customers, partners, and advisors the room to be human. They see professional crisis as more than strategy and numbers, but a human issue that causes tremendous strain. They encourage civility and behave with kindness.
Write a sentence each day about finding compassion for yourself.
Use “compassion” as a mantra while you work out, do dishes, or in the shower.
Practice compassion in everyday life when people irritate you.
Want to learn more?
Continue with Parts One and Two of the Ravenyard Priorities Assessment
Did Compassion as a priority resonate with you?
The Ravenyard Priorities Assessment is the property of Ravenyard Group, LLC and is provided for my personal non-commercial use only. I may not copy, sell, or otherwise exploit any portion of the Assessment or relatedly not copy, sell, or otherwise exploit any portion of the Assessment or related materials without express permission from Ravenyard Group.
© 2022 Ravenyard Group, LLC. All rights reserved.