Ravenyard Priorities Assessment - Focus
FOCUS - a state or condition permitting clear perception or understanding; something to which one can direct attention; a point of convergence; concentrated effort or attention (direction, aim, centrality, concentration).
In crisis, it is common to feel disoriented amidst the chaos. Setting priorities helps, but focus is a specific quality of attention, clarity, and clear-headedness. It’s not about managing details but being mindful about what matters most.
QUESTIONS TO ASK
- Why is this your priority?
- What about this resonates with you?
- Describe qualities of focus.
- What does it mean to be focused during crisis or times of hardship?
- When you look back on this time five years from now, how will you know you embodied focus?
- How can focus guide your decision-making?
- Who or what does this priority serve and how does it help?
- Imagine yourself in a situation where you are being focused. What does that feel/sound/look like?
Focus helps us pay attention to emotions like fear, acknowledge suffering, and stay on track. Focused people identify distractions and destructive patterns of behavior. They sift through information and tune down that which is not necessary.
Focus cannot be tied to desired outcomes, which are uncertain in crisis. Focused leaders use timelines, decision trees, and structure to stay on track. They avoid traps like perfectionism and seek stability.
Sit outside and focus your attention on what you hear in nature.
Use “focus” as a mantra while you workout, doing dishes, in the shower.
Sit in a chair, feet on the floor. Focus on your breath in and out.
Want to learn more?
Continue with Parts Two and Three of the Ravenyard Priorities Assessment
The Ravenyard Priorities Assessment is the property of Ravenyard Group, LLC and is provided for my personal non-commercial use only. I may not copy, sell, or otherwise exploit any portion of the Assessment or relatedly not copy, sell, or otherwise exploit any portion of the Assessment or related materials without express permission from Ravenyard Group.
© 2022 Ravenyard Group, LLC. All rights reserved.